This blog is recommended for 18+ due to the books that are shown.

Crystal by K.M. Hade

by - Monday, February 22, 2021

 


Crystal, (Cruelly Made)
K.M. Hade
Goodreads, Amazon
It's a...Reverse Harem
The team is sacred. The team is everything. And I have killed mine. I was supposed to love them, and I didn't. I tried to love them, but I couldn't. The courts condemned me to the Pit for my failings, but the Military has other plans. Aether Mages are too valuable to lose, even the ones that are too dangerous to be allowed in proper society. So now the Military has rounded up a team of innocent Fell Mages—the Mages who are Blight itself—and thrown them into the Pit with me. How do we get out? Somehow make me, an Aether Heart Mage, bond with a Fell team as a Fell Shard. It has to be a sick joke, but nobody's laughing. Except maybe the Warden, who wants to throw me into the lower levels to be used as a lab rat. The Fells came from nothing, and they don't plan on dying in the Pit. There’s the ambitious Blood, who is both cruel and infinitely kind, Rot is a giant with a terrible gift, the enigmatic Smoke, and ScatheFire, who is the closest thing to a friend I’ve ever had. There's something about each of them that brushes me like bird wings, but even if I could become a Fell Shard, my own heart is so broken I'll never love anything again, and I know nobody should ever love me. They should be more afraid of me than they are. My love devours souls. Epic dark fantasy medium-burn "it's complicated" love-hate reverse harem romance featuring a broken heroine who doesn't want to be put back together.




This is a new author so I had no idea what to expect from her.
I was drawn in by the cover, like I usually am. 
Whoever came up with the saying "Never judge a book by it's cover" seriously had not seen all these fantastic cover artists work because OMG!
Then I read the blurb and I knew I had to dive right in. 
And let me tell you, this book will take you on one heck of a roller coaster.




Crystal is our female lead. 
She is a powerful aether mage who doesn't know how to control her magic. 
Though no one in the Academy helps her understand why she has so much or how to form the bonds she is supposed to with her teammates. 
Because of the uncontrollable nature of her aether and her inability to form her bonds, during her graduation ceremony things go down hill fast.
The consequences of her failure...prison. 
Crystal accepts her fate knowing that she deserves it, but it isn't exactly like what she thought. 
And there is someone in the prison who thinks she is worth saving.
Even when she doesn't believe so. 




This story starts off with a whopper right from the beginning. 
Character deaths are never an easy thing to handle, but this one was brutal and it was with four characters. 
Though we don't know the four characters very well, it effects Crystal deeply and you see that trauma play out throughout the book. 



It does get a little confusing when it comes to the mages. 
Everyone is born with a name given to them by their parents, HOWEVER, this is not the name the characters go by. We don't even get to see those names. 
Each mage is given the name of whatever their affinity is. 
Crystal is named as such because she has crystal magic. Though she is also called Heart because she was supposed to be the heart of her team. 
Therefore, each team has members of the same types almost and their names are the same. 
Frost, Verdance, Metal, Aegis, Heart, Crystal.
So while we saw characters with these names die, we also see them as guards at the prison though they are different characters altogether. 


World building is a huge part of this story. 
And that can always get confusing, but by the end of the book you get a grasp of everything that is going on. 

Crystal has four guys who are in her little harem. 
Though this isn't your typical romance.
It is a love-hate relationship and they are doing it in order to free themselves. 
They try to deny their attraction and connection, but you can see it there.
It will take awhile before any of them admit exactly what it is they are feeling. 

Told from multiple points of view.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and immediately dived into the second book. 
I was pleasantly surprised with this author's writing style and story line. 
I'm glad I found it. 
Definitely would recommend. 


You May Also Like

0 comentarios

Instagram